background

Friday, May 14, 2010

Carob Coconut Muffins

I confess that I am fanatical about what goes into my kids' mouth. Well, okay, more like obsessive. Ha ;) I have to be, though. They have come such a long way from where we started and I want to keep going in the right direction. Therefore, everything they eat counts. I've had people say to me, "Well, it won't hurt every now and then." My reply? "Okay, then you take my child after I feed him junk and he is having meltdowns for days afterwards. You will change your mind." ;) I don't mean that in a critical way, it's just the truth. Since I have to be so aware of what they are eating, I have to remind myself that there are times to just "let it go." But our version of junk food is really different from regular junk food! I am the same way with what I eat, also. I have found that the times I have splurged and eaten junk, I regret every ounce of it later. But we are no different than anyone else, we want to eat things that taste good. I mean, who wants to eat something that is healthy but tastes like cardboard?? Not me! I love finding things that are good for us but also taste really good, especially when my boys love to eat what I make. It's such a great feeling as a mom to watch them laughing and enjoying food, all the while knowing it's helping keep them healthy. What an awesome God we have that He would create things to eat that would maintain these amazingly complex bodies, and love us enough to make it enjoyable simply out of His good will and pleasure towards us! :)

Okay, I am done rambling now. I tweaked the basic muffin recipe from Carol Fenster so that I could add carob, coconut, chia seeds and ground flax. This recipe can be soaked before hand, or just baked when you want them.

Carob Coconut Muffins

1 1/2 cups GF flour mix
3/4 cup carob powder
1/2 cup organic cane juice sugar, sucunat, or Heavenly Sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 TB whole chia seeds
1 TB ground flax seed
1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup milk (dairy or nondairy) or buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients well. Stir in wet ingredients until just blended. Do not over mix. Grease large muffin cup pan (a stoneware muffin pan works the best). Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, or until center is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment