background

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

Last fall I grew buttercup squash in our garden. I didn't get a huge harvest, but was able to puree and freeze several jars of it. I had planned on using it for bread and pie, and then totally forgot about it. So now, here we are in garden season again and I have to use up this squash!

Since I love having any excuse to use our ice cream maker, I started thinking about a way to incorporate squash into ice cream. I started dumping things in the blender, and ended up making something the kids and I really liked. It tastes a lot like pumpkin pie. Hubby thought it was weird, but two of the three boys liked it. Not a bad average. ;)

1 can coconut milk (not lite)
1 cup pureed squash or pumpkin (mine was partially frozen still)
1/2 cup whole raw cream or milk, or nondairy milk
1-2 egg yolks if using farm fresh eggs (optional)
3/4 cup sweetener (honey, organic cane juice, or Heavenly Sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional)

Blend well in blender. Chill thoroughly, then follow ice cream maker instructions.

On top of all the benefits of coconut milk and raw cream, winter squash (pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti, and arcorn) are also really healthy. They are an excellent source of carotenes (the richer the color, the more carotenes). They also contain vitamins B1 and C, folic acid, pantothenic acid, potassium, fiber, B6 and niacin.

No comments:

Post a Comment