background

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Carrot Spice Muffins



I'm going to say this recipe counts toward my recipe goal of converting something once a week, bc I based it off of a recipe for regular (gluten) carrot cake. I realize I have posted more than one muffin recipe already, but they are a staple around here. And these carrot muffins are definitely my favorite so far. :) I often hear that baking with coconut flour is a pain bc the results tend to have a quiche-like texture and be too egg-y. This can be true. But I'm learning that if you add enough bulk such as apple sauce, shredded coconut, or fruit and veggie pulp, the results are much less egg-y and it produces a really soft, moist product. There is also a delicate balance between too many eggs, and just enough eggs to get it to stay together. Despite my failures in baking with coconut flour though, I still absolutely love it and I'm convinced I would starve on a grain free diet without it. ;) Not to mention the added health benefits it brings to our diet.

Okay, on to the recipe. I used the pulp from juicing carrots in a juicer. I don't know what the results would be if you used straight up shredded carrot, although I can only assume it would be a tad runnier due to the juice still being in the carrot. It may work out fine, though.

Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
6 eggs
4 TB olive oil (or other oil of choice)
1/2 cup sweetener (I use Heavenly Sugar or honey.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup carrot pulp

Combine eggs, oil, sweetener, salt and vanilla in bowl and mix well. Add in coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and beat until smooth. Stir in carrot pulp until well blended. Pour into muffin cups or greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the centers are done. Do not over bake! This is key in having moist muffins. Over baked muffins will be dry. These muffins will make your kitchen smell so good!

If you want a sweeter muffin, top them with a glaze or frosting - mmmm. :)

1 comment: