background

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Joys of the Kitchen

Sometimes winter drags on... and on... and on. But the upside to the cold and yuck is that I have more time to spend in my kitchen. Spring and summer are busy around here with yard cleanup, garden prep, starting seeds and planting a garden, etc. The things that need done in the kitchen are still there, and I still must do them. But winter has a slowness to it that I appreciate, a slowness that I often can't find in the spring.

I also love the feeling of accomplishment I get when I know I have things fermenting, brewing, soaking, and cooking in my kitchen. So, I thought I'd post some pics and give you a glimpse of what I've got going today. Some things will just be a reminder of stuff I've already posted on. Perhaps you'll feel motivated to get some fun things going in your kitchen, too. :)


First up - beans! Of course, right? I've already soaked these beans overnight, and now I'm sprouting them in a colander. I talked about sprouting and it's benefits here. A couple of my friends suggested making several beans at one time, cooking them once they're sprouted, then freezing them for future use. I love this idea.



Beef bone broth - a must have. Not only does it make all your food taste better, but it's incredibly healthy. I posted about it here. As talked about in the GaPS book, we've also started using broth daily to help heal the gut.



Kefir - I'm using raw goat milk here, but I prefer raw cow milk. Actually, I prefer homemade yogurt over kefir. But my kids love this stuff. :) I posted how to make kefir here.



Kombucha - one of my favorite things! I had previously lost the SCOBY's I was using due to contamination from fruit flies (oh, how I hate fruit flies). But my friend brought me another one, and I also had one reserved in the fridge. I stuck them in tea to get them good and ready, and now I'm waiting to harvest this fresh batch at the end of the week. I posted about kombucha here.



Germinated rice - something new I'm trying. As you know, we've been completely grain and starch free for about 6 months now. After some consideration, I've decided to try adding in soaked and germinated brown rice (no other grains or starches, though). I will most likely steam this rice in homemade broth to boost it's nutritional value.


So, there you have it. A glimpse into my kitchen. I hope to post pics of my venture with homemade kraut soon. I also have a secret sewing project going on this week. ;) Get into your kitchen and experiment! It will help chase away the winter "blahs." :)

2 comments: