I have sat down to write this post several times and didn't get it out. I'm determined this time, though! I'm here to rant, so bear with me. But, not to fear! I'm convinced my friends V and K are the only people who read my blog anyway, and they're too far to throw things at me. Plus, they agree, so it won't matter. ;)
Our journey with natural health and whole foods started years ago. So long ago, that I only vaguely remember eating out of a box at one time. It started out as necessity. We were sick, and food was part of the solution. As time has gone on, I've grown to love food in an entirely different way. Fresh fruits and vegetables excite me, energize me, and make me feel whole. Herbs are awesomely intriguing, and meats and dairy straight from the farm make me happy. I long for the day when we can produce many of things things right on our own piece of land. For now, we are blessed with great resources.
But that's not what I'm here to post (ahem, rant) about. I look around and I'm surrounded by sick people. Some of them know they are sick. Others don't even realize it. In a passionate haste, I want to run to them and say "WHAT ARE YOU EATING?" But I can't. Although my intentions are pure, and it's only out of love that I want desperately to help them, it's not usually perceived that way. You see, our society has taught us to rely on doctors, pharmacies, and pills. We want a quick fix. One pill causes side effects that require another pill, and so goes the story. The next thing you know, we are drugged up on man-made solutions that were caused by man-made food in the first place. To make it even worse, we drug our children, also.
Think about this - diabetes, heart disease, cancer, fibromyalgia, depression, Crohn's Disease, allergies, asthma, ADD, rashes, insomnia, chronic headaches, obesity, joint pain... am I ringing any bells here? Do these things sound familiar? This is only a short list! We are a sick and dying people, slowly killing ourselves with the food and chemicals we consume and come into contact with on a daily basis. YET, NOT VERY MANY PEOPLE SEE FOOD AS THE CULPRIT. Why is that? Why would someone not consider what fuels their body, as the source of illness? Is it because we believe these things are unavoidable? Or that sickness is just a mandatory part of life? Maybe. But I think part of the problem is the attachment we have to food. The emotional attachment that causes us to seek out comfort or happiness in that sugar covered donut, or the greasy burger and fries. Comfort FOOD. I've been there. I didn't know any better, and I'd venture to guess that a lot of others don't either. That's why I'm here ranting. ;)
Your body is a living machine. So complicated and high-tech that most of what goes on in there is unnoticeable. Even scientists don't have it all figured out. God made it that way on purpose! You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Your body is designed to run itself, heal itself, and sustain itself. It cannot, and will not, do that on dead food. You cannot feed a live body dead food. All those fruits and vegetables that get cooked into mush, or packaged and heated and processed so that they can sit on a shelf for six months, then be reheated in a microwave oven, once contained micro-organisms vital for health. In their natural state, they were jam-packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. All of which are necessary to fuel the body and keep it healthy. You won't find ANY of those things in that cardboard box at the grocery store. Instead, you'll fill your body with toxins, chemicals, preservatives, insane amounts of sugar (don't even get me started on sugar), artificial colors and ingredients, and DEAD FOOD. Is that what God intended us to feed ourselves? How can we blame Him for sickness and disease, when we ourselves have turned from what He gave us to feed ourselves and perverted it into something so unrecognizable, that you can't even tell what it started out as?
Okay, I know what you're thinking. I sound like a fanatic. And that's true. But I want to put out a challenge. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself what REAL LIVE FOOD can do for you. It's so easy! Here's where the title of this post starts to make sense. Get yourself a blender. Vow to stop consuming sugar and processed food for two weeks. Seriously, just two weeks. Fill up your fridge with fruits and vegetables (local or organic if possible). Every morning when you wake up, instead of reaching for that donut or bowl of cereal, throw fruits and veggies in a blender and make a smoothie. That's it! Start small if you want, only change your breakfast habits. If you want to go all out, see if you can make healthier choices throughout the day. You may feel sick for the first few days as your body detoxes out junk. Tired, foggy head, headaches, or even stomach aches are all normal and mean your body is cleaning house, doing what it needs to in order to start healing. But by the second week, I think you'll be surprised at the results.
To get you started, here's a list of things I love making smoothies with. I mix it up, so I'm not drinking the same thing all the time.
Chia Seed - I always use this bc it's high in omega 3's and protein.
honey or liquid stevia for sweetener
watercress
swiss chard
rainbow chard
collards
spinach
dinosaur kale (or other kale)
cilantro
beets
carrots
cucumber
lime
lemon
grapefruit
orange
kiwi
pineapple
apple
pear
peach
any kind of berry
mango
papaya
banana
ginger root
avocado
young coconut meat and/or water
cocoa powder
cacao nibs
vanilla extract
water or a liquid like raw milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.
I like to set aside time after I grocery shop, to get everything ready so the morning smoothie routine goes quickly. I wash, peel, cut and freeze anything I can. I lay it out on cookie sheets with waxed paper, then put it in a container or freezer bag once it's frozen. This makes everything SO easy. I even freeze my greens if need be.
If you don't prefer all the fiber and thickness, use a juicer. Juice your fruits and veggies.
I want to spread the word that there's hope. I know, bc I'm still walking my road to health and so are my kids. But what we eat is crucial. I crave the good stuff now. I feel better. Was it easy to make changes? No way! Is anything worth doing ever easy? It's definitely worth it.
I'd love to hear about your experience if you decide to take the smoothie challenge. What have you got to lose?
Hi Abbi! I read your blog too! But I know how you feel. We have fallen off the wagon and I am determined to get back on! Thanks for the kick in the pants. I need it! lol Hope you and your family are all doing well!
ReplyDeleteKerri
Hi Kerri! So glad you read my blog, too. ;) lol Try the smoothies, it's a great way to get some good things back into your diet. :)
ReplyDeleteVERY well said! I've never had any major health issues, but don't accept heart disease or stroke as a valid part of growing old like so many do. I refuse to medicate bad habits. Love to you guys!
ReplyDeleteI agree with kimi b-ee. I refuse to believe feeling awful every day, especially after I eat, is normal and acceptable. Coincidentally, I've just started an elimination diet to find out what is causing my problems. I just finished the first week and did have some headaches and bad days. But eating only whole foods that I prepared has been easier than I thought it would be, I just needed motivation. Thanks for the great post Abby!
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa! It's definitely not normal to feel so awful. I'm so glad you are working on getting better. One thing I thought I'd add is, reacting to foods is a sign there's a problem in your body (obviously). Removing the trigger foods may temporarily help, but it won't HEAL the gut or the body. Eventually, there will be new things the body reacts to. Although removing the trigger foods is very important, it's helpful to promote healing through other means so that your body stops reacting to things and you can feel good again without having to withhold so many things.
ReplyDeleteThere's some awesome documentaries on Netflix, and we recently watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I think it would be very inspiring to anyone who is struggling with chronic illness. There's also an excellent book on gut health, titled "Gut and Psychology Syndrome."
Hope that is helpful to you!