background

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Brazil Nut Pancakes

After soaking and dehydrating some brazil nuts, I decided to throw them in the blender to see what sort of flour they would make. It was much softer/finer than the almond meal I get from my blender. I thought it would be the perfect texture for pancakes. :)

Before grinding, soak the brazil nuts in water with about 1 tsp sea salt per cup. Drain, rinse, and dehydrate for about 12 hours.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups brazil nut meal/flour
4 eggs
2 TB honey
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Blend all ingredients in a blender until well mixed. Heat skillet and pour in oil or butter. Spoon into skillet about 2 TB per pancake, or more if you want bigger pancakes. The batter will seem thin, but it will puff up. Also, don't get the skillet too hot, as nut flour batters tend to burn easily.

Serve with butter and jam, maple syrup, honey, or fruit and whipped cream. :)

2 comments:

  1. ABBI!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I have been wanting pancakes for weeks but they affect me so badly I couldnt! Sooo I am buying Brazil nuts on Friday when we go to the city! Oh I sure think you're swell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Em!!! Don't forget to soak the brazil nuts and dehydrate them first to make them more digestible. It helps so much. If you don't have a dehydrator you can use the oven on a low setting like 150 degrees. (You already know that but I'm putting it here in case someone else doesn't). These pancakes have a different texture than flour pancakes, but they are still really good. :) Let me know how you like them!

    ReplyDelete