background

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Creole Mayo



I love mayo. Seriously. My middle son loves mayo, too. He gets it honest. ;) It's so versatile! The first time I made my own, I was so disappointed. It was nothing like the stuff I was used to from the store. No tang, no zip, nada. For the most part, it tasted like oil and was pretty bland. I tried adding extra salt and extra lemon juice, but it was still lacking in flavor. I just about put the idea of making my own mayo out of my head completely, but thought I'd give it one more shot and try the Creole Mayo from NT. I figured it had to be better than the bland stuff at least. And what do ya know - it was! Granted, it is still very different than store bought mayo. But it was definitely good! I haven't tried any other variations yet, but I have used this mayo by itself, as a salad dressing, on top of salmon, and as a dressing for cole slaw. My son even loves it. :D

NT Creole Mayo

2 egg yolks, room temp
2 TB fresh lemon juice
2 TB whey (optional)
1 tsp dijon-type mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled (I used 2)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce (I omitted)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 cup olive oil or sunflower oil, or a mix of both

Put all the ingredients into the blender except the oil and blend thoroughly. Now, add the oil. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART! DO NOT just dump the oil in. Turn your blender on, and while it is blending remove the cap from the top. SLOWLY drizzle in the oil while the blender is going. This will ensure that your mayo is mixed properly and the oil won't separate later.


drizzling oil in


If you used whey, you can leave the mayo sit on the counter, covered in a jar, for 7 hours and then refrigerate it. It will keep for about 5 weeks this way. If you don't use whey, refrigerate the mayo and it will keep for about 2 weeks.

When I use this mayo for cole slaw, I mix it with apple cider vinegar and honey, according to taste preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment