background

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sunflower Seed Brownies

Breakfast is sort of a daunting task when you take grains out of your diet. Most of the breakfast foods we ate before were grains, and they were filling. I've been looking for things to fill the void now, so the kids will last a little longer without feeling so empty. Kefir smoothies or yogurt and fruit are the standard breakfast staple now. Sometimes we have eggs or nut butter along with it. Protein and fat is what makes you feel full, for a longer period of time. I ran across this recipe in NT, and couldn't wait to try it out. Raw sunflower seeds are really cheap at our HFS. You can soak and sprout them and make your own sunbutter. You don't have to soak them first for this recipe, though, bc they soak as they bake. I replaced the Rapadura called for in the recipe with honey along with a few other substitutions and thought these would make a great addition to our breakfast menu.

Ingredients:
4 cups hulled sunflower seeds, freshly ground
1/2 cup carob powder (I used natural cocoa powder)
1/2 cup Rapadura, organic cane juice, Heavenly Sugar, or honey
1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, preferably soaked and dried
1 TB vanilla extract
3/4 cup water

Grind the sunflower seeds in your blender, food processor or grain mill until it's a fine meal.



Mix the meal with the carob or cocoa powder, sweetener, and chopped nuts. If you are using honey, do not add it yet. In a separate bowl, mix the vanilla (and honey if you are using it) with the water and stir well. Pour the liquid into the seed mixture and blend well. Dough will be thick and sticky. Firmly press the dough onto a baking sheet or 9x13 baking dish lined with parchment paper.




Set your oven temp to 150 degrees. NT says to bake these brownies for 12 hours, turn them over, then bake a remaining 12 hours. I didn't do that. I put them in my stoneware baking sheet and baked them for about 7 hours then took them out and let them cool before cutting. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge.

8 comments:

  1. So how do they taste? Did they turn out good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely have that nutty, sunflower seed taste. I liked them, and the kids asked for seconds so that was a good sign. haha If you use carob instead of cocoa, they'd have a completely different taste I'm sure. Cocoa tends to have a bitter aftertaste even with sweetener. Carob doesn't, but I didn't have any on hand. Next time I'll try the carob, though. Also, if you prefer a sweeter taste, Rapadura or another organic sweetener besides honey would be sweeter, and the consistency will be less sticky. You just kinda have to go by what taste you prefer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate one for breakfast this morning and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought of trying it out. Glad you tried it first! I need to get my dehydrator rolling again. Miss yummy good snacks!
    Do you guys eat cashews? I posted a really really yummy brownie recipe in the IYFBRG a while back.
    I just made the Carob Fudge from NT. But used cocoa cause I do not like Carob at all. (OK so I havent had it in 10 yrs but Refuse to try it again.) It was rich but tasty. And all you need is a little so it lasts a good while. Mmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. em, you should give carob a try again! we like it. definitely try these brownies, too. i'm going to make a double batch next week so they last longer. good to know about the fudge, i'll look it up. and i think i saw your brownie recipe, but didn't have the ingredients at the moment.

    my youngest always throws up when he eats pecans or cashews. he seems fine with almonds. today i gave him soaked cashews to see if he will throw those up. if he keeps them down, i will try soaked pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbi--
    My dear friend made these and said, "Thanks so much for posting the sunflower seed brownie recipe. I love it. SO satisfying, yummy, and it was good after baking only 7 hours. :) There's something odd about leaving brownies in the oven overnight, but it was worth it! Unfortunately, the kids aren't as into them as I am...I actually think they are too rich for them - they can just eat a few bites. Like cheesecake? It's but a faint memory, but I think there is a similarity in the satiation. :)" Yooper

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! i love hearing when the recipes i post work for people. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete