background

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Pork

I picked up a couple raw food cookbooks at the library the other day. We don't eat a strictly raw diet (sorry, but I will always cook meat!). But I do love flipping through them, and there's great recipes for snacks and breakfast that don't include grains. I particularly loved the book Living Raw Food by Sarma Melngailis. I definitely recommend checking it out. :) That has nothing to do with this recipe, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Tonight's dinner was sweet and spicy shredded boneless pork ribs. I'm not a huge fan of pork, but every now and then I buy it for a change. The sweet and spicy part of this recipe comes from my lovely friend, WR. I rave about her recipe bc it's so versatile, easy, and tastes awesome. I've used it with shredded chicken or pork. I've put it in tortillas or over rice, added beans or olives, you could even put corn in it. It's addicting. ;) Tonight we put it on top of raw spinach leaves and covered it with yogurt (which is my new favorite topping for everything since I can't have sour cream). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs boneless pork ribs (if using chicken, use boneless chicken breasts)
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 jar apricot or peach preserves
2-3 tsp taco seasoning (see recipe below)
fresh raw spinach leaves
plain yogurt for topping
green olives

Put pork or chicken in the crock pot and cook until it's done. Remove, shred it up, dump out the water from the crock pot, then add the shredded meat back in. Add the salsa, preserves, and seasonings to the meat and stir well (taste it to see if you prefer more or less seasoning). Feel free to add anything else to it (corn, beans, onions, etc). Turn crock pot to warm setting and let sit for at least 1/2 an hour. Serve over a bed of spinach leaves, topped with plain yogurt and sliced olives. Or serve in tortilla shells or over rice.

I was going to post a pic but it was eaten before I could get one. ;)

Taco Seasoning (by WR):
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or cilantro
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoy it! You can also use pineapple preserves or orange marmalade in this recipe, and it's still yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, never thought about the pineapple preserves, I bet that is really good!

    ReplyDelete