background

Friday, October 22, 2010

Crockpot Rib Eye Steak and Veggies

With the cooler weather and life getting semi-back-to-normal after a very hectic and emotional summer, I've finally been able to get back into my kitchen and cook real food. It's kinda therapeutic for me, as long as I have some sort of plan and things to cook with. Like I mentioned before, I'm trying to love food again and make it a special part of life even on a restricted diet. I've come to really appreciate spices, and I'm learning to use them liberally! :)

Yesterday I made rib eye steaks in the crock pot. Yep, that's right, boneless rib eye steaks. For some reason I've always had this idea in my head that whatever was cooked in a crock pot had to be completely covered in water or some other liquid. But after searching the internet looking at recipes I realized that's not so! Maybe that's not a new revelation for some of you, but it was for me.

I had one package of steaks left from our beef cow in the freezer, but no time to grill them up. So out came the crock. I love this thing! Is there anything easier than throwing some food in and hours later your house smells wonderful and dinner has made itself? I think not. ;) I wasn't sure if it would work or not, but I took the plunge, stuck the steaks in, piled on the veggies, and waited for the results. Thankfully, it was as good as I had hoped for. :)

This recipe fed all five of us. If you want less, just use less food in your crock. As a side note, hubby brought home some kohlrabi from the farm stand last week. It was our first time trying it, and now I'm hooked! They look and taste so similar to potatoes. Since we can't have potatoes, this seems to be a good replacement in soups and such.

Ingredients:
6 boneless rib eye steaks
2 medium sized onions, sliced
3 green peppers, sliced longways
5-6 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into chunks
1 TB chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
couple shakes of chipotle powder
2 TB butter
1/2 cup water

Thaw the steaks and trim off all the fat around the edges. Combine the dried spices in a bowl, and sprinkle each side of the steaks with the spice mix so they are well covered. Pour 1/2 cup water into the bottom of the crock, then stack the steaks two at a time into it. I layered them opposite ways. Cook the steaks on high for a couple hours. Then, open the lid and throw in all the veggies (onions, peppers, and kohlrabi). Shake a little bit of salt over them and cut the butter into chunks and put it on top of the veggies. Put the lid back on and cook for another several hours, or until the veggies are soft. And that's it! Dinner is done. :)

We served our steak and veggies with baked butternut squash covered in butter, honey, cinnamon and almond milk. MMM..... I love fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment