background

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chocolate Cream Pies

Last weekend my sister came to my rescue and spent the day taking down wallpaper with me. While working, she suggested we bake cookies to motivate us. ;) How could I say no to that?! ;) So I whipped up a double batch of grain free chocolate cookies. As we were eating, she commented that they were like mini cakes. That's when it hit me - they were perfect for cream pies!

I had never made cream pies before, but I was certain there were homemade versions out there. I started searching the web and could only come up with recipes that used marshmallow cream. Now, I'm not sure if marshmallow cream is GF, but even if it is there's no way I want to use it. Talk about a sugar rush - yuck. :P Not to mention the reaction my kids would have to that processed junk. I almost gave up hope, until I ran across a blog with a recipe for "honey fluff." YES! It's just like marshmallow cream, but without the junk! The wheels were turning and I was picturing grain free chocolate cream pies in no time...

All week long I had it stuck in my head to try what I was hoping would turn out to be a really good treat, and I finally made it to the kitchen tonight to find out...



Yum! They are pretty much exactly what I pictured them to be in my head. The honey fluff is a bit messy to make and you really need to watch the timing while boiling the honey/sugar mix. If you don't like the taste of honey, you will not like honey fluff. The honey flavor is fairly strong, but so good! The texture is perfect. I chose not to make an actual cream that used powdered sugar, I just used plain honey fluff for the middle instead. But if you wanted, you could use the fluff for adding into an actual cream pie filling recipe. Next time I make these, I'm going to try melting allergy free chocolate chips and dipping them in it so they are chocolate covered.

Here is the grain free chocolate cookie recipe. Scroll down through the recipes and you'll see it.
This is the honey fluff recipe.

So, try them out and let me know what you think. :) I'm not usually a fan of overly sweet stuff, but you have to live a little sometimes, right?! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am so glad you like my honey fluff recipe - isn't it wonderful? It's simple stuff, but pretty versatile.

    Those pies look pretty scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori! Yes, I love the honey fluff! I have used it for several things already! Or I just eat it with PB on a spoon. haha My kids love it, too. We used the leftover from this recipe to top our pumpkin pie! (the recipe is posted here, also) I'm also in the process of converting a fudge recipe into something we can eat, and using the honey fluff in that instead of the marshmallow cream it calls for. Can't wait to see how it tastes! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete