I love activated charcoal. I seriously don't know how we ever lived without it before. And yes, I'm talking about that black powder that most people would never think to take internally - but NOT the stuff you use in your barbecue grill. No, don't make a nasty face and say "Ew!" This is really amazing stuff! I came here to write up a blog post about how awesome it is, but More Than Alive did such a great and thorough job that I'm deciding to wimp out and just post this link. :)
Activated Charcoal
We have used charcoal for sour stomach/nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, as a detox regimen, and as a pack to draw out toxins from the body caused by bites (think mosquitoes, spiders, dogs, etc). I also take it when I eat a not-so-healthy food that I know I shouldn't have (ahem, sugar). As the charcoal absorbs the toxins, it relieves the symptoms. I keep it on hand all the time, and it would be the first thing I go to if we ever had a situation where poison was ingested.
Charcoal doesn't exactly have the greatest taste, but it's really not that bad either. It's more the texture that some people may dislike. I mix ours with OJ and it makes it drinkable (actually, at least one of my kids likes this stuff - weird!). I use up to 1 tsp of charcoal with 4-8oz of OJ. I also add 1 TB whole flax seeds for fiber. Make sure to drink a LOT of water and liquids when taking charcoal, so that it will not only help flush the toxins out quicker, but it will help the flax seeds to swell and move the charcoal out of the intestinal tract. Take it on an empty stomach, at least one hour after eating or first thing in the morning. Then wait at least an hour after taking it to eat again. Do not take charcoal within 3 hours of taking other supplements/vitamins or medications, as it will absorb those also and they won't work.
Give it a shot and see what you think. Keep it on hand, because you won't think about it until you actually need it and don't have it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment