background

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pizza Black Bean Soup

Beans are a pretty versatile food. But unless you do something with them like add in seasonings, veggies, or meat they are pretty bland. I'm constantly looking for new ways to make them bc I know how healthy they are but I get tired of eating them the same way all the time. I've even tried the black bean brownie recipe from this blog. I add beans to soup, tacos, and of course - CHILI! But even that gets old if you eat it too often. Not to mention that chili is just not the same now that we can't put tortilla chips in it! :P Lately I've been making a pot of beans and just adding in whatever else I can scrounge up from my fridge, freezer, or cabinets. The kids love beans so they eat them up. It makes for a super easy lunch or dinner if I soak the beans overnight and throw them in the crock pot early in the morning and let them cook all day. I love easy! :)

So what's the big deal about beans anyway? Well, they are filled with soluble fiber and protein. Fiber helps clean the colon and move stuff through. Soluble fiber turns into a gel when mixed with liquid, and is beneficial for binding with fatty acids and regulating blood sugar levels. The fiber in beans will help you feel full, and bc the soluble fiber will help the stomach empty more slowly, you will have the feeling of being full for a longer period of time. Beans also contain B vitamins and other important nutrients the body needs like calcium, potassium and folate. Plus, the real bonus about beans - they are CHEAP! Not to mention all the different kinds of beans there are, lots to choose from!

The best way to buy beans is dried. That way you know they are not highly processed, and you can soak them yourself to make them more digestible. I've found that if I soak my beans in water and a little bit of vinegar for at least 8 hours or more (depending on how big the beans are) they are much easier to digest.

Anyhow, here's tonights bean recipe. Feel free to add in whatever else you like to give it more pizza flavor. :)

Ingredients:
2 lbs dried black beans, cleaned and soaked for at least 8 hours
1 quart beef or veggie broth
2 bunches of scallions, chopped
1 small stalk (bunch) of celery, cleaned and chopped
3 TB butter
1 cup pizza sauce (I used what I made and froze myself, but I'm sure store bought would work just as well.)
2 tsp dried thyme
3-4 tsp salt (depending on taste - I like a lot of salt)
a dash of chipotle powder (again, judge on taste)

optional add-ins:
chopped pepperoni
black olives
chopped green peppers
diced ham
browned sausage
diced tomatoes
shredded cheese

Once the beans are soaked, drain and rinse them. Put them in the crock pot, pour in the broth, and add enough water so that the beans are well covered. Set on high and let cook. When they get close to being tender, turn the setting to low and add in everything else. Cook a couple more hours.

I made this soup without any meat options and served it with grain free coconut bread. You could also serve it with biscuits, tortilla chips and cheese, or bread sticks. Hope you enjoy it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment