A couple years ago, my family and I discovered Lara Bars. The kids loved them! It was so great that they were allergen free, too. One day while sitting and reading the label, I realized how easy the ingredients would be to mix up myself. I purchased the stuff and started experimenting. I was so excited they turned out! They became a favorite around here, and they are so healthy! So, here's my version of Lara Bars. You need a high powered blender or food processor to make them, a regular blender is not strong enough.
If you think of a spice or flavor you might like, don't hesitate to try it out! These are all just basic ingredients that are about the same, and easy to add to. Don't forget to soak your almonds or other nuts in salt water for at least 7 hours before using them. :)
Coconut Bar
1 cup almonds
*you could also do 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup cashews instead*
1 1/4 cups pitted whole dates
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional if you want cocoa flavored)
Mix ingredients together in a bowl. Add to blender and blend until all ground up. If you find it's too dry, add a small bit of water to soften it up. Scoop into a dish lined with parchment paper and refrigerate until hard.
Ginger Bar
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1 1/4 cups whole pitted dates
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon (you can change the amount of spices according to what you like)
Same directions as above.
Peanut Bar
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups whole pitted dates
Same directions as above
Banana Bar
1 cup almonds
1 1/4 cups whole pitted dates
1/2 a banana
Same directions as above.
Pistachio Bar
1 cup pastachios
1/2 cup cashews
1 1/4 cup whole pitted dates
Same directions as above.
Pecan Bar
1/2 almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1 1/4 cups whole pitted dates
We love Lara bars. They are too expensive to be a regular treat though. I've been wanting to experiment with a recipe but glad to see you already did:) I'll have to try these!
ReplyDeleteDid you know you can use dried figs instead of dates?? They're super yummy and remind me of "Fig Newtons"!
ReplyDelete-Lisa
Yes, but I haven't ever tried it. I've heard you can sub raisins, also. I bet it does taste good! I haven't replaced my high speed blender since mine died, so I haven't been able to make these for such a long time. We miss them!
ReplyDelete