background

Thursday, April 8, 2010

GF Leftover Oatmeal Cake

I am blessed to have really smart friends who share their really great recipes. The original recipe for this cake comes from my friend WR. I subbed a few things to make it GF and egg free. It still turned out so good and moist, I thought it was worth posting here. :) It's not sugar free, but makes a really great treat or breakfast side dish.

Cream together:
1/2 cup coconut oil or butter
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic cane juice sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
2 eggs (or 2 TB ground flax seed mixed with 4 TB hot water - let stand 5 min until sticky and goopy)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups (more or less) leftover oatmeal (I used 2 1/2 cups steel cut oats that were soaked in kefir then put in the crockpot overnight with apples and cinnamon)

Sift together:
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Add sifted mixture to creamed mixture and beat well. Grease 9x13 dish and pour in mixture. Bake 35 minutes or until the middle is done.

For the topping, mix 2 TB coconut oil, 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey. Sprinkle mixture over the top of the cake after it's done, and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until the coconut is slightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. I always make mine from oatmeal that was cooked with apples and cinnamon, too. I'm not sure the cake would be same with plain cooked oatmeal. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I can't remember if I've used plain oatmeal or not! Maybe I'll have to make it soon with plain oatmeal and see how it turns out. Seems like the apples probably help make the cake moist.

    ReplyDelete