I just can't seem to get it together this last couple of weeks. Busyness of life and distractions seem to have taken over and organization has gone downhill. Therefore, I haven't spent as much time in my kitchen as I like to. Last night at the last minute I pulled out what we had around, and this is the concoction I came up with. It's nothing earth shattering or new. ;) Enchiladas are pretty basic and you can do as many variations with them as you want. But I figured I would post what I used in case anyone needed an idea to go on. Last summer I chopped up a ton of sweet peppers from our garden and froze them. They were great for this recipe. If you are dairy free, leave out the cheese and they'll still taste really good.
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped sweet peppers (red, orange, green, yellow)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
10 white corn tortillas
red enchilada sauce (half the recipe)
2-3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp paprika
1 TB cilantro
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried chili pepper flakes or other hot pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
Cook beef in skillet until done. Before draining, add chopped peppers and onion and cook until tender. When peppers are tender, drain juices from beef mixture. Add spices and mix well. While the beef mixture is cooking, prepare red sauce according to recipe in another pot.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Slightly warm tortillas in the oven so they roll better. Fill each tortilla with some of the beef mixture, roll, and lay down in a 9x13 dish (I use a stoneware one and it works great). After all tortillas are filled and in the dish, pour the red sauce all over the enchiladas. If you are using cheese, sprinkle it over the top of the sauce. Bake uncovered for ten minutes or until warm and cheese is melted. Serve.
My kids really loved these. I think the peppers and the sauce really made them yummy! You could add other things like black olives, guacamole, refried beans, or whatever else your family likes. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment