I am not a fan of sugar. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of how it tastes. ;) What I am not a fan of, is what it does to the body. Particularly my body and my kids' bodies. I feel so crummy after eating sweet junk, and it makes my kids have digestive issues and act like crabby maniacs. Like I have mentioned before, for this reason we are sugar free. When I do need something other than honey in a recipe, I use organic cane juice sugar. I realize this is still technically sugar, but it's not processed like regularly sugar and is a bit easier for us to digest (in moderation, of course).
My hubby loves baked "goodies," so our compromise is for me to come up with things I can bake that taste good, without all the nasty side effects of sweets full of processed sugar. So every now and then I get it in my head to make something, which is what happened last night. I went out on a limb, and pulled out my old Betty Crocker cookbook to experiment and see if I could convert one of the cookie recipes to be GF and still taste normal. ;) I went with the molasses cookie recipe, and it turned out really well. I tried baking them right after they were mixed, which did not work out so great bc the result was flat, crumbly cookies. I put the dough in the fridge over night, and baked them the next morning while the dough was still hard and cold. Much better results! Therefore, I strongly recommend making sure this dough is completely cold before you bake it, and keep it in the fridge while you are baking the cookies to keep it cold.
GF Molasses Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup organic cane juice sugar
3/4 cup sour cream (I used raw cream that had naturally soured in my fridge.)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup coconut oil (softened)
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups GF flour mix
3 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
Cream sugar, butter and coconut oil. Mix in sour cream, molasses, and egg until smooth. In separate bowl, mix flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add dry mixture into cream mixture a little at a time until well blended and smooth. Cover and refrigerate over night or until completely cold and stiff.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put cookies on baking sheet by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are starting to be hard on the outside. Remove from oven and cool. For a softer cookie, remove from oven sooner.
If you try this recipe, please let me know if you liked it or what you thought!
Where do you get your cane sugar juice?
ReplyDeletethey sell it at our HFS in bulk, but i usually just get it at our local grocery store. it's next to all the sugars and sweeteners. i sometimes get the "florida crystals" brand. i know it's not the greatest brand, but it is organic and the ingredients say pure organic evaporated cane juice.
ReplyDelete