background

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For Love of Kefir

No nourishing foods blog would be complete without a post on kefir. It's like a right of passage or something. ;) I have a love/hate relationship with this cultured food, and at times have had to down right force myself to drink it. I love the health benefits of kefir, and the fact that I feel so much better when I drink it. It has done amazing things for my kids, and for me. But, the taste... well, you can decide for yourself. Some like it, some don't. ;)

So, I'm sure many of you may not know what kefir is. Pronounced "keh-feer" if you want to be technical, or just "keefir" if you're like me. ;) It's a form of cultured dairy, made by putting kefir grains in fresh milk and left to sit out until it cultures. It's similar in texture to a drinkable yogurt. It can be used to make a smoothie, or drank all by itself. The longer you let it culture, the more sour it becomes.

The grains that make the kefir are made up of bacteria and yeast. They look like clumps of cauliflower, except they are squishy and sticky. You cannot grow them from nothing, they reproduce themselves as they feed on the lactose in the milk. As they culture the dairy, they grow and eventually need separated. Since the grains contain live bacteria and yeast, they need to be "fed" regularly or stored in the fridge properly when not in use, otherwise they will die. Dead grains will discolor, smell funky, and will not produce good kefir. When the grains are healthy, they will reproduce (or grow) at a fairly rapid rate. As they turn the milk into kefir, they impart their healthy bacteria and yeast into the milk. This is what makes kefir a powerhouse for your gut.


There is way more info out there on the health benefits of drinking kefir regularly than I will be able to put in this single post. I'll give the just of it, and you can do some research on your own for the rest. :) Kefir contains several different strains of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) and yeast. They work together to make kefir a natural antibiotic. Although it has yeasts in it, it does not feed bad yeast in your body. It will help the good yeast and bacteria in your gut to colonize and kill the bad yeast and bacteria, helping maintain proper balance of your gut flora. The grains create the enzyme lactase as they feed on the lactose in the milk. Lactase helps break down lactose, so most people who are lactose intolerant can handle drinking kefir. Kefir boosts your immune system, too. It's rich in enzymes, B vitamins, vitamin C, folic acid, amino acids, and phosphorus. The proteins in kefir are partially broken down by the culturing process, so they are more easily digested. It helps keep your bowels working properly and aids in digestion, contributes to healthy skin, can help with seasonal allergies, and restore health to the lining of the gut (which is especially helpful when you are healing leaky gut syndrome). Adding cultured dairy to your diet regularly promotes overall health.

Okay, so now that you know what it is and why you should drink it, let's talk about how you make it! Kefir can be made with goat or cow milk, or any other dairy milk. It's best to use raw milk if you have access to it, bc it contains all the live enzymes and nutrients. Make sure you are using clean sterile jars and utensils while making kefir. Never touch the grains with metal. Handle them gently. Keep them fed with fresh milk every 24-48 hours (or less), or store them in clean distilled water in a glass jar in the fridge for a few months while not in use.

Put about 2 TB kefir grains in a clean jar. Pour your fresh milk over the top, filling to the amount of kefir you want to make. Loosely put the cap on the jar. Set it out on the counter or top of your fridge, out of direct heat and sunlight. Leave it to culture for 12- 48 hours. The warmer your house is, the less time it will require to ferment. In the colder months I let it go 24 hours. In the summer I let it go 12 or less.


When the milk starts to separate into curds (the white part) and whey (the clear liquid), you know your kefir is done. As I mentioned earlier, the longer it goes and the more it separates, the more sour it will taste.


Take a clean plastic strainer and bowl, and dump the contents of the jar into it. The kefir will go through to the bowl, and the grains will stay in the strainer. There is no need to rinse the grains for the next use. They are supposed to be sticky and white. If you ever do need to rinse them, though, always use clean cold water.


Put the grains into a clean jar, and pour fresh milk over them to start the process over again. Use the kefir you strained right away, or store it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It's normal for it to continue separating into curds and whey as it sits. Make a smoothie with it (honey, fresh or frozen fruit, and kefir), or use it to soak your flours or grains.

My kids have been drinking raw goat milk kefir for over a year or so. I cannot say enough about how much it has helped their gut issues, digestion, and seasonal allergies. I also notice a big difference in how I feel when I drink it, not only with my gut but with my sinuses, too. We all have better immune systems and don't get sick as often when we are drinking kefir. That's one of the reasons I love it! :)

10 comments:

  1. Did it take a while after adding Kefir to your diet for you to notice you felt better? I've been using it in my breakfast smoothie for about a month now and I don't notice a difference yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... ya know I'm not sure. I guess what I really notice the most is when I'm not drinking it. Every time I've caught something, it's when I was not drinking it regularly. Or when I start having digestive issues, it's when I haven't been drinking it. I know that if you have leaky gut issues and other gut flora imbalances, it may take awhile for the good bacteria and yeast in the kefir to colonize in the intestinal walls. Some people experience die off symptoms when they first start drinking it bc it's killing the bad yeast in the gut. What is your diet like otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Lisa W. btw, it won't post my name right so I'm using the anonymous option. I try not to eat gluten, if I do eat it it's unintentional. I'm not sure what die off symptoms are so I don't know if that's it. I do eat too much sugar still, although it's only a couple times a week when I just want lots of sugar :) Thanks for the help, I just need to hang in there I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa! Die off symptoms would be things like bowel issues, rashes, headaches, nausea, or overall yucky feeling. I'd guess that if you are binging on sugar a couple times a week, you are battling yeast still. So, it could be that is counteracting the good stuff the kefir is putting in your gut. Although kefir is amazing stuff, it's not a "fix all" but definitely a part of healing the gut and immune system. Message me on FB if you want, and let me know your specific symptoms and we may be able to narrow it down to what's going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Lisa again...I think I have a problem. I know I'm needy...but my grains are floating now. They've never done that before and the milk isn't turning into kefir. It just smells like warm milk unlike before when it used to smell sour after a day or so. It's been about 3 days, I hope I didn't kill them :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grains always stay at the top of my milk. But, if it's not turning into kefir especially after 3 days, I would guess your grains aren't good anymore. :( With the nicer weather, my milk has been turning to kefir within 12 hours (I can see the curds and whey separated). If it's not separating, then it's not working. Can you get different grains from another trusted source?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turns out the kitchen was almost as cold as the refridgerator for a couple days. I don't notice how cold it is because I like it cold, but I looked at the thermostat and it was in the low 50's. I turned the heat up and it got so warm the next day and the grains worked so well I had to push the solids through the strainer with a spoon (gently, of course). Normally they are mixed together and still runny. Crisis overted. Thanks for the quick response...your so helpful Abbi :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes Lisa!!! Good grief that's cold. haha Well, I'm happy it was solved! Sounds like the grains are still in good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just separating my kefir grains from the curds and whey and started wondering something. If using metal utensils such as a strainer or spoon with kefir might kill it, what about the metal in our bodies? Or the blades in a blender? I don't know if anyone else has wondered this also. Those could be other ways it loses effectiveness. Just a thought...

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wondered that about the blades in my blender. I try not to leave it in there very long just in case. ;) As for the metals in our body, I'm not sure how that effects it. It's not necessarily coming into direct contact with the grains like a strainer or spoon would.

    ReplyDelete