background

Saturday, March 13, 2010

And so it begins...

Four years ago, I started on a quest to recover two of my boys from chronic digestive issues and Sensory Integration Dysfuntion. I had little knowledge of natural health, and I didn't know anyone who was eating a gluten free diet. All I knew was that I needed the Lord to point me in the right direction and show a huge amount of mercy to me. I was desperate to help them, and my knack for diving into things headfirst finally seemed to come in handy. I spent hours reading and researching books and the internet for answers to their problems. I devoured anything I could get my hands on that could answer the increasing number of questions I had. I thought deeply, prayed fervently, and cried daily. I learned more about myself and felt the Lord's grace more in the last four years than in any other time in my life. And looking back now, although there are so many things I would change, I can see a beautiful picture of how God used difficulty and heartache to bring goodness to our life. He brought me tools I needed as He answered my prayer - "Lord, please restore us to health."

So, here I am now. I am overly familiar with words like chelation, leaky gut syndrome, detox, gluten, casein, IgG, and the dreaded "yeast." I also discovered I have celiac disease. And the boys? Well, they know what kombucha and kefir are, they can tell you which grains contain gluten and which do not, and they can explain why it's important to eat living foods. But most importantly, they are well on their way to health. They have come farther than I ever imagined they would. And so have I. Because God IS good, and He is faithful. And every day we learn new things.

This blog is about whole, nourishing foods that are gluten free, soy free, peanut free, and sometimes dairy and egg free. It's to share what I have learned, what I am learning, and even to share my many failed attempts! I am passionate about caring for the bodies that God gave us, and I find joy in doing so. I love teaching my kids about gardening, real food, and real life. And especially about the awesome love of Jesus Christ in everything that He created. I'm new to blogging, so please be patient with me as I figure it all out! Check back often, as I will be posting new recipes and information as often as I can. Thanks for being a part of a few of my favorite things!!

5 comments:

  1. yay, abbi! can't wait to read what you have learned and to learn even more along the journey...
    may the Lord bless you as you share from your heart and knowledge. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more Abbi! I'm so excited for you. BTW what is in the cream jars on the bottom left hand side?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled that you decided to blog about this!! YEAH! :) I also have that knack for diving headfirst into things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for your support guys!! laura, the mason jars lined up on the bench are full of applesauce i canned, and the jar with the blue lid in the pic next to that is mayo i made this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbi, I am so excited that you have this blog. I have already learned so much from you and am looking forward to always learning more. Thanks for your willingness to teach those of us who are newer to this need to be gluten free. God bless you in your endeavors.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete