This is derived from the red enchilada sauce in NT. I couldn't find the chiles it called for at our local grocery store. I am also not a fan of my mouth feeling like it's on fire. ;) So I made do with what I had. It's definitely one of my favorite sauces now, and I use it every time we have tacos or anything Mexican. It also makes a great dip for tortilla chips on it's own.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups organic chicken or beef broth (I used organic vegetable broth and prefer it over the other two options)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 small cans organic tomato paste
1 TB red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp (or more) chili pepper flakes
sea salt
Saute onion in olive oil until onions are close to being soft. Add cumin and stir. Whisk in broth, garlic, red wine vinegar, tomato paste and chili flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or so. You may want to cover the pot, it splatters as it cooks. Add salt to taste. You can puree the sauce when it's done to make it smooth, or you can leave it the way it is if you don't mind the chopped onions.
Use immediately, or store in a mason jar or other glass container in the fridge after it cools. You can also freeze the sauce for later use.
No comments:
Post a Comment