background

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Soaked Banana Muffins (GF)

I love the smell of muffins baking in my oven. It fills my kitchen with a warm, homey scent that makes me feel cozy. My kids love muffins, too. We make different varieties and flavors, and they always want to spread homemade butter and jam all over the top. Yum!

I prefer soaking the flour first. Not only for the nutritional benefits, but also bc I've noticed that I don't get that heavy feeling in my stomach after eating them.

This recipe is adapted from Carol Fenster's recipe in Gluten Free 101. If you are eating GF, I highly recommend that book!

Banana Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)

2 1/3 cups GF flour mix
2/3 cups organic cane juice, sucunat, *honey, or *maple syrup
1 TB baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup kefir, buttermilk, or kombucha
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large eggs (or 2 TB ground flax mixed with 4 TB hot water until it gels)
*1-2 ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
3/4 - 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

*if using honey or maple syrup and eggs, only use 1 banana; if using honey or maple syrup and flax gel, use 2 bananas - keep in mind using honey or maple syrup will produce a different texture than OCJ will.

The night before, mix flour with xanthan gum and add in kefir, buttermilk or kombucha. Mix well, cover and let sit overnight or at least 7 hours. (As with all the recipes where I soak the flour, if you don't have time to do it or just don't want to, simply skip the soaking step and mix the muffins right before baking them. You can use milk or water for the liquid.)

The next morning, stir in remaining ingredients and mix until blended. Do not over mix. Grease muffins cups and add batter to each cup. Bake at 375 degrees (350 degrees for honey) for 20-25 minutes. Let cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment