background

Saturday, March 20, 2010

GF Aebleskiver

About two years ago, my middle son saw a commercial for the "pancake puff pan." From that moment on, that's all he could talk about. Several times a week he would ask me to call the number that had been on the screen and order him one. So when Christmas came around that year, my sister knew exactly what to get him - the pancake puff pan. ;) Unfortunately, that pan was made of a cheap metal with a nonstick coating. We don't use nonstick pans and she was concerned about what may be in it, so in total disappointment she took it back. Soon after that, hubby was browsing the Lodge cast iron website and saw the Aebleskiver pan. So my sister ordered it, and my son got his "pancake puff pan" after all. He was soo excited! I wasn't concerned about subbing GF flour in the recipe, but at the time we were egg free due to my oldest son's allergy. Time and time again, I couldn't make true aebleskiver bc I couldn't use eggs. The boys were bummed, and so was I. So the pan got tucked away in the cabinet for the last year or so.

As I was trying to figure out what to make today, I remembered the Aebleskiver pan, and the fact that we are now able to have organic farm fresh eggs. So I drug it back out for another shot. And sure enough, it worked! It's all about the eggs. ;)

Here's my GF recipe for Aebleskiver (you need the pan for these).

2 egg whites
2 cups GF flour mix
2 tsp xanthan gum
3 tsp baking powder
1 TB organic cane juice sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
4 TB melted coconut oil or butter
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk or nondairy substitute mixed with 2 tsp vinegar)

Beat the egg whites with hand mixer until they form a stiff peak. Set aside.



Mix flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cane juice sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir in coconut oil, egg yolks and buttermilk.

GENTLY fold in egg whites.

Heat Aebleskiver pan, and put 1 TB oil in each cup. Pour 2 TB batter into each cup. The trick is to let them cook enough that you can flip them, then let the other side cook. Continue flipping them a couple times until each side is crispy. Remove from pan and let cool a bit. Continue putting 1/2 TB oil into each cup before you put the batter in, each time you cook more batter.



We covered ours in maple syrup, but you can also shake them in a cinnamon/sugar mixture or dip them in fruit syrup. Or, you can be really ambitious and fill the middle with something while they are cooking. :)


(sorry this pic is crummy, my batteries were dying)

8 comments:

  1. We currently have to be egg free (as well as free of a whole multitude of other foods) and I find it VERY limiting.... I would love to see some egg free recipes if you would be wiling to share :o) Maybe I should just give you my extensive list of allergies and you can see if you have any recipes that would work! :oP
    JK! I wouldn't want to make that much work for you....

    Beppyjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! I've wanted one of those pans for so long! Your recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B - We were egg free for over 3 years, it is definitely limiting when it comes to baking some things. In fact, we were gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, banana free, mustard free, yeast free, cinnamon free..... the list goes on! haha ;) Slowly, as we detoxed the boys and worked on healing the gut, we were able to add a few of those things back in. We were even potato free for quite awhile until we discovered our son was actually reacting to the junk sprayed on potatoes and not the actual potato. Anyhow, the best egg replacer I found was flax gel. It's 1 TB ground flax seed mixed in 2 TB hot water per egg. Let it sit several minutes until it gels. This worked great for muffins, pancakes, biscuits, bread, stuff like that. I actually still use it quite often in order to avoid over-using eggs. What type of recipes would you like? Give me your list and I'll see what I can come up with!

    As a side note, one thing that will really help heal the gut is to do a good detox. We've had great success with Bulk Herb Store's Detox +. It's easy to do, and it has helped so much. Let me know if you want more info on that also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abbilynn! I have actually done a detox (Dr Schulz...) I did the Elisa 96 test a few months later and my list was still extensive. Right now I am preg with #4 and so not doing much cooking (still battling morning sickness)I will let you know as I think of recipes I would like to try and see if you have them :o) My 5 yo dd has food issues too but seems to be slowly improving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo, these look YUMMY Abbi! I keep reading about your cast iron, I'll need to switch. :) I am slowly getting rid of the "bad" & buying the "good". :D It's SO dang expensive! sigh. HOWEVER- having children that behave well makes it worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE cast iron! i was very blessed to have a dad who started collecting it years ago from garage sales and stuff, so he passed it on to me bc it was more than he would use. almost all of them were pieces that weren't usable due to rust, and hubby sand blasted them and made them like new! they are super expensive if you try to buy them new, so keep your eye out as spring/summer approaches. you can get them dirt cheap at garage sales. it's okay if they are rusted, you can use a steel wool pad to clean them up. just make sure they have a flat bottom and do not rock when sitting flat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbi, Do you have a post yet someplace on your recipe for GF flour mix? I know you have one. =) I would love to have it.

    ReplyDelete