Sprouting neutralizes phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors in seeds and grains. It produces vitamin C, increases vitamin B's and carotene, produces enzymes for better digestion, and inactivates aflatoxins, which are carcinogens found in grains. (from NT)
All you need to be able to sprout something is a wide mouth quart sized mason jar, and screen to fit over the top instead of the lid. You can sprout just about any seed or grain. You do the same thing for all of them, just adjust the amount of time for germination. You should not sprout flax seeds, oat seeds, irradiated seeds, or alfalfa seeds.
We had garbanzo beans (chickpeas) on hand, and some buckwheat groats so that's what we used. We filled mason jars 1/3 of the way full with the beans and buckwheat (in separate jars), then added water all the way to the top. I put the cheesecloth (or you can use screen material) over the top of the jar and put the ring around it. We let the jars sit over night.
The next day, we drained the jars and tipped them upside down at an angle in bowls to allow them to continue draining. Two to three times a day, we rinsed the beans and buckwheat groats, drained them, and put them back upside down. The buckwheat took 2 days to sprout, the chickpeas took 3 days.
After 2-3 days, you can see the sprouts, and you know they are done.
All beans and grains should be cooked after sprouting. They will cook faster than beans or grains that have not been sprouted.
We used our sprouted chickpeas in soup, and we toasted our buckwheat groats on a baking sheet in the oven for several hours set at 150 degrees. I made kasha, eggs, and spinach with them. We definitely plan on making sprouting a regular part of our routine now! :)
I've tried sprouting but had mold issues.... I even followed the directions! :oP Haven't tried again. Thought maybe coastal air was just too moist to be able to sprout effectively?
ReplyDeleteWhy should grains be cooked after sprouting? Or do you mean if your going to cook them cook them after sprouting?
ReplyDeleteI sprouted some pinto beans last week (my first attempt at beans). I did a whole bag, though. I used a large bowl for the overnight soaking, and then just a metal colander for the rinsing and sitting the next couple of days, with a pan covering the opening. I didn't wait until they all started sprouting before cooking them, though, b/c I wanted to make chili. :) I also remembered to toss in some baking soda while cooking the beans. The chili turned out good (even dh ate some, and he HATES beans!) and I know it was healthier from the sprouting. And I didn't even notice any gas problems - hooray!
ReplyDeleteB - hmm, not sure. did you rinse them often enough? maybe try a different kind of bean/seed or grain next time and see if you have better results. perhaps some mold easier than others.
ReplyDeletelaura - NT says not to consume too many raw sprouted grains bc they contain irritating substances that are neutralized when cooked. she recommends always eating them lightly steamed or added to soups and casseroles.
you make it seem so easy, abbi! i have read much about sprouting but never attempted. you make me think i can...
ReplyDeleterhonda
If I can sprout anyone can :) Some things are easier than others; so far I've tried chickpeas which require rinsing at least twice a day, adzuki beans (3x a day), and oat groats (1-2x a day). The oats were very surprizing, maybe because I only sprouted a tsp full to see if it would work, but they were the least demanding so far. If the beans/grains seem to be getting icky, rinse them really well whenever you think of it and you'll know for the next time to rinse more often. Also, if you let them sit in a strainer/colander when it's humid out that allows for better air flow. Hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteLisa