Today was a momentous occasion at our house. For the first time in four years, my boys were able to enjoy real cow milk ice cream! Since being dairy free, they've been stuck with rice milk ice cream. Although it's a fine substitute, it's just not nearly the same as real, creamy dreamy ice cream. Although we worked raw dairy into their diet last year, we hadn't purchased an ice cream maker. So last month, hubby surprised the boys with the ice cream maker attachment for our Kitchenaid mixer. They were so excited! I saved up our raw cream and put the mixer to use. We were not disappointed! I especially liked this recipe bc it didn't call for heating or cooking the cream or milk beforehand. Which means all those wonderful enzymes in the cream and eggs stayed intact. I also loved this recipe bc it uses maple syrup instead of sugar. And it tasted every bit as good as I had hoped. ;)
With summer around the corner, I have a long list of flavors and variations we are waiting to try in our new ice cream maker. What a great investment! I will post them as I try them out. I love thinking about the fond memories my kids will have of eating healthy, yummy ice cream. :)
Vanilla Ice Cream (from NT)
makes 1 quart
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 TB vanilla extract
1 TB arrowroot powder
3 cups heavy cream (preferably raw)
Beat eggs, and blend in remaining ingredients. Chill thoroughly, then follow your ice cream maker instructions for churning. Chill in freezer until firm.
The possibilities of toppings or additions to your ice cream are numerous. Add whatever you want at the end of the churning process, or top it with your favorite toppings after it's chilled.
Looks good! Have you tried GNOFGLINS Kefir ice cream yet? What I like about it is that you don't need so much cream!
ReplyDeleteNo, but I plan on trying it soon! In fact, if I have all the ingredients maybe I could make it tomorrow. I know I don't have dates, I wonder if I could use another sweetener like honey and it still taste good. Or maybe I'll wait until I get the dates. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure the honey would taste fine.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you! What a huge step this is. I am so, so, so thrilled. What a great looking recipe. I am going to have to try this if we get an ice cream maker this year. It is on my "list". I am hoping to get one before we move and our milk supply changes.
ReplyDelete